The Young Artist Orchestra & Philharmonic Auditions
All GCYO auditions for the 2021 – 2022 season will be performed via video recording. Please follow these directions.
Applications can be submitted at any time prior to May 28. All video submissions due by May 28, 2021. No exceptions.
Record your Audition:
- Whether using a cell phone or video camera, make sure that there is adequate light in the room in which you are recording.
- Make sure that you are standing or sitting far enough away from the camera that the judges can see you adequately. The video should clearly record both your left and right arms/hands. Your torso should be visible for accurate assessment of posture and playing position.
- Record in a quiet environment so that judges hear you well.
- Start the recording by saying: your full name, your instrument, and the name of the orchestra for which you are auditioning (YAO, Philharmonic, Sinfonia, Intermezzo or Prelude, Wind Ensemble).
- Record in this order:
- Solo (string players only) must be no longer than 2 minutes (make cuts and eliminate repeats as needed)
- Excerpts: say the name of the excerpt before you play it.
- Please record all of the above in one take (DO NOT SUBMIT MULTIPLE VIDEOS).
- All auditions must be submitted to Acceptd. You will receive an email from Acceptd with directions.
- Remember, the deadline to submit videos is May 28.
Winds & Brass Auditions
Woodwind and brass students trying out for the Young Artist Orchestra or Philharmonic should be prepared to play scales and designated orchestral excerpts.
Students will be asked to play all 12 major scaled from memory over the range of the instrument (i.e. SC Senior Band Scale requirements, which can be found here.
Wind and Brass Excerpts
Young Artist Orchestra Winds and Brass Excerpts
Percussion auditions for both orchestras will consist of specified orchestral excerpts and sight reading. Please prepare as much of the excerpts as you are able.
Making the Dreams of Young Artists a Reality